Sunday, January 29, 2012

Cleaning the bottom



Last summer I finally pulled the cab of my truck off of the frame and started cleaning up the disgusting mess that was in there. There were about 20 wasp nests in the cab. They were everywhere. Up under the dash, in the window frame spaces in the door, in the defrost duct work, the glove box, argh! Stupid wasps. I eradicated their living spaces.

I pulled the cab off using my engine hoist and a 6x8 timber and I put it on my trailer and hauled it to the local sandblaster. The operator told me that he might warp the sheet metal and that it would cost over $200. That was more risk and more money than I had imagined, so I decided to do my own work. I have a little sandblaster and the tools to grind off the rust so I am taking my time and being careful.






Here I am welding the crossmember to the new rocker panel. One of the final steps in replacing the old rusted-out rocker panel.






I started cutting out many of the rusted out spots and replacing them with new metal. I used my old MIG welder for most of the patching. The MIG welder is fast, but I prefer the finish the TIG welder leaves. Less grinding with the TIG, but in this case I don't mind the thicker welds under the cab.




I am grinding off all the old rust and undercoating to prepare for fresh paint and undercoating. The old undercoating is over 50 years old and its dry and flaky so it's time to be freshened up.



At this point in my truck project I am grinding off the rust from the bottom of the truck. I have patched a lot of things on the cab and mounted the cab on a wheel frame. I'd like to build a rotisserie, but for now I just roll the cab and work on the bottom.



No comments:

Post a Comment