Monday, March 6, 2017

Mounting the Curtis Controller


The Curtis controller provides the AC for my motor and that is the next step in my build. To mount the motor I decided to use some 3/16 flat aluminum stock that would sandwich in between the controller and a nice finned heat sink.

I also needed to weld some aluminum angle onto the flat stock to give it rigidity and a mount point to mount the whole assembly on the motor mount. 
This is what the heat sink / mount looks like as I welded it. You can see the welds are done in 1" sections and then the stock is allowed to cool to prevent warping. I also clamped the heat sink onto the assembly while I welded in order to minimize warping.


Welding the angle aluminum to the flat stock
After welding the tray, I clamped it onto the motor mount that I had fabricated for the motor. Then I cut out a template from cardboard to get the right angles for the angle aluminum for the braces.

Cutting a template to fit for the braces.




I then cut the aluminum braces with a skilsaw fitted with a metal cutting blade.


At this point I have the tray clamped to the motor mount and ready to accept the metal braces. I still need to weld flat ends onto the braces in order to bolt them to the tray and the motor mount.


No comments:

Post a Comment